Configuration software for Windows (STABLE firmware):
WX3in1 Mini Configurator v1.10 (installer): download
WX3in1 Mini Configurator v1.10 (zip file): download
Device manual v1.10: download
Our devices are always shipped with latest STABLE firmware version.
Configuration software for Windows (DEVELOPMENT firmware):
WX3in1 Mini Configurator v1.21 (installer): download
WX3in1 Mini Configurator v1.21 (zip file): download
Device manual v1.19: download
Device manual v1.10 (German, translated by Funktechnik Frank Dathe): download
Microsat devices feature comparison: download
WX3in1 Mini allows you to generate APRS data packets with information field defined by user and send them in a specified interval. In this way, it is possible to send beacons, objects, weather and telemetry data.
The main purpose of the device is receiving and sending APRS data packets via amateur radio transceiver. WX3in1 Mini is capable of receiving an APRS packet, decoding the sender, recipent, path and information field. Then actions are performed in accordance with the options configured by user:
Device firmware implements the following mechanisms:
- Packet is digipeated via the APRS network,
- Packet is sent to the APRS-IS server,
- Packet is ignored if it was corrupted.
- Checksum Verification - packets with errors are ignored,
- Anti-flood - packets repeated in a short time interval are not forwarded,
- Path checking - a decision whether to digipeat a packet or not is made using a filter stored in configuration data of the device. User defines whether to forward WIDE1-1, WIDEn-N, SPn-N, or local path packets and the maximum value of N (so called New-N paradigm),
- Area filter – allows to digipeat packets only from stations located within a defined radius from the device, within a defined radius from a point on the map or within a rectangle defined by north-western and south-eastern point on the map,
- Callsign filter - a simple callsign filter allows you to add stations to black list (these stations will be ignored) or white list (only these stations will be digipeated).
RF -> APRS-IS forwarding (I-Gate)
WX3in1 Mini allows you to connect to APRS-IS server network. After logging to selected server, it is possible to gate data received from the APRS radio network. All packets with correct format and checksum are forwarded to APRS-IS.
APRS-IS -> RF forwarding
WX3in1 Mini allows you to receive packets from APRS-IS server. Then a decision is made whether to gate a packet to RF or not. It is possible to forward different types of packets based on a filter defined in device configuration. APRS message packets can be forwarded to stations which were heard on RF within limited number of digi-hops (local RF), and they are repeated up to 3 times in case of no ACK packet received from message recipient.
WX3in1 Mini allows you to connect an optional GPS receiver module to report current position in APRS and APRS-IS beacons. Therefore it is possible to use it with a moving station and display a real-time position on the map.
Bluetooth interface support and a KISS TNC operation
Firmware version 1.19 adds a functionality of a KISS protocol TNC allowing to forward received packets via optional Bluetooth interface connection to an external device (e.g. Android smartphone). It is also possible to receive packets from Bluetooth and send them to RF. Thereby it is now possible to use the device as a Bluetooth TNC.
Tests were made with APRSDroid 1.3.0 giving a nice ability to show received packets on the application map and allowing to send packets from mobile phone to RF.
KISS via TCP/IP packet output
This feature allows any networked device to connect to WX3in1 Mini TCP/IP port and receive packets in KISS format without a need to use of a Bluetooth module. At the time of writing of this manual revision (firmware v1.19) KISS via TCP/IP is only one direction (RF → TCP/IP). KISS via TCP/IP was successfully tested with APRSDroid 1.3.0.
Weather station support
WX3in1 Mini allows you to receive weather information from weather stations via the RS-232 cable. Data is then encoded into the APRS packet and may be sent to APRS network at specified intervals. Additionally WX3in1 Mini allows you to send weather data to APRS-IS server.
Supported weather stations:
- LaCrosse/Technoline WS-2300,
- LaCrosse/Technoline WS-2350,
- Peet Bros Ultimeter 100,
- Peet Bros Ultimeter 800,
- Peet Bros Ultimeter 2000,
- Peet Bros Ultimeter 2100,
- Davis Vantage Pro (with RS232 datalogger),
- Davis Vantage Pro2 (with RS232 datalogger),
- Davis Vantage Pro Plus (with RS232 datalogger),
- Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (with RS232 datalogger),
Weather Underground service support
Weather Underground is one of the biggest weather services available on the web. It allows you to create an account for your weather station and send weather reports which are stored in their database. Data is then available for view in form of graphs, tables or a simple web page applet showing current conditions in your location. Everyone can send his weather data using a simple internet protocol.
In WX3in1 Mini you can configure your Weather Underground account name, password and send weather data in preconfigured time intervals. You can also send your weather data in "rapid fire" mode every 5 seconds and see your weather changes realtime using their web page applet.
Device allows you to send telemetry reports to APRS/APRS-IS network. Possible telemetry channels are:
- received APRS packets in 1 hour or 10 minutes window,
- digipeated APRS packets in 1 hour or 10 minutes window,
- packet decoding efficiency in 1 hour window or in the whole range from device power-up,
WXTelemetry module support (analog channels)
You can get more telemetry report options when using external WXTelemetry module. With WXTelemetry module you can measure and send following values:
- two current measurement inputs,
- two voltage measurement inputs,
- DS18B20 digital thermometer input.
WXBits telemetry module support (digital inputs/outputs)
You can use an additional WXBits module for reporting of digital input channels and administration of output channels. WXBits is a module which includes:
States of both inputs and outputs can be reported in APRS telemetry reports and outputs can also be controlled with WX3in1 telnet interface.
- 4 optocoupler digital inputs,
- 4 mosfet transistor open-collector outputs.
RTC clock and NTP time synchronization support
With WX3in1 Mini you always have the current date and time thanks to NTP support. Device connects to a defined NTP server every few minutes and checks for the current time. Local passage of time is handled by on-board RTC clock with a battery.
Firmware and configuration updates
In WX3in1 Mini you can do all firmware and configuration updates over an USB cable connection from your PC using a simple Configurator application. If your device is located in a remote location, you can update firmware and configuration over TFTP protocol.
Remote WWW access
With WX3in1 Mini device it is possible to configure and view device statistics remotely via web browser.
Below you can see 2 of 13 available configuration pages (as in firmware version v1.10).
Remote telnet access
You can connect to your WX3in1 Mini device with a telnet client. Telnet connection allows you to check all device operation messages, read device statistics, send some test packets useful during installation, control digital outputs of WXBits module, and much more.
Device printed circuit board
Below you can see a photo of a device PCB. It is a compact design mounted on a high-quality 2-layer PCB manufactured in Poland. Every unit is mounted and tested by me.